Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Collaborative sewing - a mother-daughter zipper pouch

My five-year-old and I recently completed this zipper pouch together. After seeing the apples & pears pouch get whisked away for the Vancouver-Portland MQG pouch swap, Sophia was insistent that I make another one with her. Hard to resist a kid who wants to sew with you! 

She chose fabric from her stash (yes, she has a stash, gotta start young!) and carefully decided how she wanted the front to be pieced. Then she sat on my lap while we zigzag quilted the front. I added four buttons in the precise places she indicated. This girl knows what she wants!

On the back, she drew her name with a marking pencil and I embroidered on the lines with a backstitch. I loved how we worked together to create a lasting artifact of how she prints her name at this age.


Of course, little sister was fascinated by the pouch and tried to figure out how to operate the zipper.

She's also tried to remove the buttons, but they're on there securely!

Now, what did this girl fill her pouch with? Dinosaurs, of course!

Cause every five-year-old needs a place to keep their dinos. Left to right, we have Triceratops, Stegosaurus, Dimetrodon, and Saichania. Don't they look happy?

3 comments:

  1. Love that last photo! Happy old dinosaurs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ADORABLE!!!! What an excellent project, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun project! I love that you stitched her drawing/writing...and dinos? You have a very cool daughter!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails