Pages

Monday, February 1, 2010

The Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild

The Modern Quilt Guild

The first Modern Quilt Guild started in LA in October, 2009. In the past several months, new guilds have been popping up all over the United States and there are now international guilds in Melbourne and Toronto. Modern Quilt Guilds are a place for non-traditional quilters to share their fresh, modern quilts.

I watched all these developments with interest and was encouraged to set up a Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild. I created a ning group on Thursday and by Monday (just four short days later!) we have thirteen members!

With the Olympics coming soon, I think we'll wait to have our first meeting until the spring to avoid the pandemonium. It will be so exciting to meet other local modern quilters and see what kind of quilts they're making!


Image via Spool of Thread's blog

One more development that's super exciting for me is the fact that there will be a modern fabric store and sewing lounge opening in Vancouver very soon! It's called Spool of Thread Sewing Lounge and it sounds like heaven. You'll be able to buy lovely fabrics, take sewing classes, and rent a sewing machine by the hour (this is my chance to try a serger!). I just can't wait for the grand opening!

2 comments:

  1. Yay,

    Thanks for the info on the new store, I've been worried about where I would be able to satisfy my fabric needs once I am back in Vancouver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited about Spool of Thread, even though I live in the burbs, I plan to check it out asap after it's open. & I designed their logo- woot!!

    And very cool about the Modern Quilt Guild, I've just gotten back into quilting myself and being a graphic designer, the more fresh twists on design and all the awesome fabrics available are just too cool and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails