Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

My proposal story

Minutes before our fateful dive (Dean had no idea what he was in for!)
September 3, 2001

Nine years ago today, I asked Dean to marry me while SCUBA diving in the Pacific Ocean. I haven't told this story on my nearly-two-year-old blog, so I thought today would be an appropriate day to share. 

In 2001, Dean and I had been dating for eight years, I had graduated from SFU with my degree in Biology and I was working as a naturalist at the Vancouver Aquarium. I was ready to take the next step, so I took matters into my own hands. We went for a dive off of Ogden Point in Victoria and after seeing a variety of amazing marine life, I wrote "Will you marry me?" on my dive slate. I can still remember how Dean's blue eyes widened in surprise as I showed him the slate and then popped open a box with a dive watch inside. All he could do was signal, "OK!"


We came back to the surface and shared our news with our parents, who happened to be there to "watch us dive". We assured them that the wedding would be held on dry land, and everyone was happy!

The happy couple with dive watch and proposal slate

10 comments:

  1. Awww. Sweet gift you bought the guy too!

    My 9 year anniversary of his proposal is at the end of the month. Opposite cost though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats you guys! I remember the day well :) Was that really 9 years ago? Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww, that's such a sweet story, and good for you for taking matters into your own hands!!! congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is sooo sweet!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, congratulations, that's awesome. I took matters into my own hands, too (but set him up to ask me or else) 16 years ago next Friday. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so awesome! Happy engagement anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I love this story! Go Holly :) Congratulations, 9 years is a nice long time already!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Holly! That's an awesome story and way to go for asking him! I say you waited long enough.... 8 years?!?! Happy Anniversary!!! We are having our 10th in November :o) Hugs, Laurraine

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great story, I love it. Very west coast!I like the engagement watch, does he still have it? Wear it? Your daughter is going to love that story when she gets older!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool way to get engaged! haha I love how he couldn't really reply and simply had to give an "ok". Cool idea to get a watch too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails